Dry skin is a very common problem and it is a major cause of itching. Hot water, soaps and scrubbing with a towel or a luffa dry out your skin because they remove the protective oils that the skin naturally produces. ALWAYS:
- Use lukewarm water. DO NOT USE hot water. Make showers brief (≤ 5 min).
- Use a mild soap or shower gel. Avoid antibacterial soaps.
- Use an artificial puff instead of a natural luffa which is harsher to the skin to make foam.
- After wet works (baths, showers, swimming, frequent hand washing), pat dry (leaving some water on the skin) and immediately apply a moisturizer to lock in moisture and replace the skin oils you lost:
- At night, thick ointments such as Petroleum Jelly are excellent for intense moisturization
- During the day, use less thick moisturizers. Remember that creams are more efficient than lotions.